PicasaPicasaPicasaPicasaPicasaPicasa

Saturday 22 March 2014

Wheat-Free and Dairy-Free?

Before I begin, I'd just like to clarify that I am not actually allergic to those foods. I am however quite ill.

One of the conditions I suffer from is a form of chronic pain that unfortunately has no cure. It means that I am in constant pain pretty much all the time, and although it can be controlled, it may never totally go away. So one of the control measures my doctor advised me to try was cutting wheat and dairy out of my diet completely for three months. If it works, I should carry on after the three months.*Disclaimer: Never cut entire food groups out of your diet without consulting a doctor first* He made no promises but I was at a point where I really was willing to try anything.

So I did.

I had one of two options: Gradually cut foods out of just go cold-turkey. I chose the latter because I know that if I just tried to gradually do it, I would never have been able to give certain things up.

And did it work?

Well so far I'm a month and a half in, and it seems to be working.

Now I'm not going to lie, it was so hard at first. But looking back, it was also definitely worth it. ... It's bitter-sweet. On one hand I'm glad there is less pain but on the other I do miss certain things. That said, there are plenty of alternatives and 'free-from' options so I don't really feel like I'm missing out (they are a bit hit and miss though unfortunately).

I'm not saying the pain has disappeared, but I have noticed that it's taken the edge off of it for sure. And that can only be a good thing right?

And speaking of alternatives, I've been doing a lot of 'free-from' cooking/baking recently since I realised there isn't a huge range of decent or affordable alternatives for certain things in the supermarkets. So hopefully I'll start sharing some of my trials with you all soon!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...